Skip to main content
UKCRC Health Research Classification System

Thromboses and embolisms

Advice on health categories

In general clotting disorders should be coded as Blood; this includes deep vein thromboses (DVTs) and venous embolisms.

Diseases of the vasculature such as thrombophlebitis should be coded as Cardiovascular.

It may be appropriate to code for both Blood and Cardiovascular where the study overlaps both areas.

While general studies of clotting and thromboses should be coded as Blood, research involving blood flow to brain should be coded as Stroke. Therefore ischaemic stroke will generally be coded as 100% Stroke unless there is a clear pre-existing condition, in which case the guidance on sequelae should be followed.